Saturday, February 12, 2011

Elastic


So I am recent to cloth diapers but I have been learning a thing or two everyday about them and I thought it would be useful to have a place to get all my thoughts down.  Yesterday I was sewing a super cute robot print pocket diaper and I realized that I could make sewing the elastic a lot easier.  Instead of trying to sew a casing around the elastic I can just sew the casing and then sneak the elastic through with a safety pin attached to it.  That makes the casing super tiny but I realized two things, smaller is not always better and my elastic in homemade diapers is not as stretchy as my purchased diapers.  So I did a little research and found the plastic stuff, often referred to as Elastin and purchased it from bright star diaper supplies because they had the cheapest price and best shipping rates (also a great place for printed PUL if you like that). However, after my little boy wore the diaper, the side that I sewed without the super tight casing had sort of a ruffle and that side did not leak or wick to the cotton outer.  Pretty exciting:)  So I am sure that I will get a stretchier leg if I use the other elastic but I still may want to stick to the larger casing. Interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Utah
So this is a hobby turned into a habit turned into an obsession. I love cloth diapers. I love learning about them, making them, using them! I am addicted. I thought I should start a different blog from the family blog where I can gather all my information and indulge in my current addiction=)